We provide an assortment of programs and services that contribute to a strong and sustainable local food system. Consulting services support farmers, connect consumers and educate the public to foster lasting business relationships between family farmers and wholesale buyers (chefs, caterers and grocers) to bring locally grown food to the marketplace. Broader Horizons consults with buyers one-on-one to contact them with the locally-grown products that best suit their business and prepares farmers for the demands of the direct, retail and wholesale marketplaces to build capacity and increases economic viability for farmers through consultation, workshops, networking events, and training materials.
Broader Horizons Management Consulting provides technical assistance to four vegetable processing cooperatives in Mississippi and Alabama. Collectively known as the Deep South Agricultural Network these cooperatives partner to improve rural livelihoods through the development of local food value chains in the following areas: southeast Alabama, the Cottage House Inc.; west central Alabama, the United Christian Community Association; northwest Mississippi Delta, Southern Rural Black Women in Agriculture, AAL; and southeastern Mississippi Delta, the Mileston Cooperative Association. Concretely, we are working to strengthen the capacity of low-wealth farmers, develop the infrastructure needed to aggregate and process local agricultural products, and create access to wholesale and retail markets for local growers.
Agricultural Services provided by Broader Horizons Management Consulting include, but are not limited to the following:
- assistance to farmers in accessing programs and receiving assistance from USDA;
- assistance to farmers and processing facilities in achieving good agricultural Practices (GAP) or good handling practices (GHP) certification;
- assistance to farmers in hoop house management;
- assistance to cooperatives in creating youth leadership programs;
- assistance in implementing standardized record keeping; and
- assistance in developing and implementing business, marketing and strategic plans.